Join Richard Stim for an in-depth discussion in this video What's next?, part of Music Law: Copyrighting a Song.
- Thank you for checking out this course.…Hopefully you now feel comfortable…filing an application for your music…with the Copyright Office.…Of course, if you run into a problem…that can't be addressed by our course,…the information specialists at the Copyright Office…may be able to help.…Most importantly, you should now be aware…that determining and protecting song authorship…and ownership are as accessible to you as your home studio.…By making it easier to protect your music,…I hope that eases any concerns you may have…and in turn, encourages you to make even more great songs.…
If you need more information…on copyrighting music business issues,…check out my book "Music Law"…or check out my blog, Dear Rich,…in which I answer questions from artists and musicians.…
Rich starts by defining what a song copyright and a sound recording copyright are—and how they're different. He defines who owns a song, and how to sort out contributions from multiple writers of the same song. Then he explains how to get a copyright registration using the U.S. Copyright Office's online application process. The course wraps up by discussing possible objections that copyright examiners may have, as well as what to do to maintain your copyright and correct any errors that crop up.
DISCLAIMER: This course is taught by an attorney (or other instructor) and addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. Neither LinkedIn (including Lynda.com) nor the instructor represents you and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is akin to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate information to help viewers understand the basics of the topic presented. The views (and legal interpretations) presented in this course do not necessarily represent the views of LinkedIn or Lynda.com.
- What is a song copyright?
- Who owns a song?
- Evaluating cowriters and their contributions
- Registering a song copyright
- Maintaining a copyright registration