Learn how to get and protect copyrights for your songs, and understand the critical language, concepts, and business aspects of music copyright.
- [Voiceover] Hello I'm Richard Stim. And welcome to Music Law: Copyrighting a Song. Why should you copyright your songs. Because by doing so it establishes your claim to ownership at the copyright office. And provides you with important legal benefits, if someone uses your song without permission. In this course, I'll explain the value of copyright for song writers. I'll walk you through the online registration process, and help you register one song. Or in some cases, a group of songs.
I'll also help you sort out songwriting contributions. And explain how to formalize co-writer arrangements. With the use of a collaboration agreement. If you believe your songs have value and you want to preserve your claim to those songs. Then this course is for you.
Rich starts by defining what a song copyright and a sound recording copyright are—and how they're different. He defines who owns a song, and how to sort out contributions from multiple writers of the same song. Then he explains how to get a copyright registration using the U.S. Copyright Office's online application process. The course wraps up by discussing possible objections that copyright examiners may have, as well as what to do to maintain your copyright and correct any errors that crop up.
DISCLAIMER: This course is taught by an attorney (or other instructor) and addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. Neither LinkedIn (including Lynda.com) nor the instructor represents you and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is akin to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate information to help viewers understand the basics of the topic presented. The views (and legal interpretations) presented in this course do not necessarily represent the views of LinkedIn or Lynda.com.
- What is a song copyright?
- Who owns a song?
- Evaluating cowriters and their contributions
- Registering a song copyright
- Maintaining a copyright registration