Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video What does the monitor engineer do during the show?, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…During the show I spend most of my time watching the band.…I have to make sure and change my snapshot when they expect it to be changed.…That snapshot might turn off a keyboard part or…turn on a keyboard part or move a guitar around.…Anything that I can do on this console.…If there's a incorrect note played, I have…to know whether or not it's something that I…need to fix, whether I need to turn that channel off or just let it play out.…
I'm also looking at my wireless units to make sure…all the frequencies are staying stable and everything sounds good.…I'm going through my rack of plugins to…make sure that things there are working correctly.…I'm keeping an eye on my Pro Tools file in case I have…to go back and fix something tomorrow, I need that file to be correct.…And of course I have to follow along with the show.…I have to be doing the right snapshot…changes when it's time to do those snapshot changes.…I have to follow along with the entire show to ensure that…they are playing the best show they can play for those fans.…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Iyeoka, Recording Artist and Poetwith Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo9m 16s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.