Follow a top-tier live sound engineer around the setup for a Rush concert in a 12,000-seat arena show in Denver, Colorado.
- Hi, my name is Brent Carpenter, I'm currently on tour with Rush as their monitoring engineer. I've been working with the band for 11 years, and I have almost 600 shows under my belt with the guys. Come follow me on typical day on an arena level rock tour. Audio engineering on a tour is not just about audio engineering. Imagine, if you will, when you went to work in the morning, you had to take your office out of a tractor-trailer, set it up, assemble it, and then at the end of your eight or nine or 10 hour day, you had to put it all back into boxes, and put it right back into another truck to let it meet you in the next city.
That's what I do everyday. I'm going to take you around the live sound setup for Rush on their Clockwork Angels tour, showing you the front of house monitor consoles, miking setups, amplification systems, speaker arrays, live show cuing, in-ear monitor systems, recording, and a lot more. So welcome to Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush. Let's get started.
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Iyeoka, Recording Artist and Poetwith Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo9m 16s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.