Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…There's a phenomena that happens with musicians when they're on stage.…Especially in an arena setting or a large scale production where…all the low end for the audience, well it's pointed out there.…So any low end that the band is getting is…just kind of a left over afterthought, if you will.…One of the things I always do, I like to…do with my bands, I always put subs on the stage.…I cross them over really, really low, so it's just…the really lowest notes.…And I only low end energy in them, the…bass drum, maybe a floor tom, the bass guitar.…
If there is a Taurus pedal or really low keyboard…note, I like to put that in them in as well.…Doing that attaches the musician to the stage.…They're not relying on the low end from out…there just to come back and hopefully it'll be enough.…And by attaching them to the stage, it…gives them a feel for what's really happening.…Especially since…we don't have base cabinets or guitar cabinets on stage, it allows me to put…some low end on stage that they can feel their own instrument a little bit.…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.