Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Turning on the PA for the first time, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…A…lot of times the bigger the room, the more dynamic change will happen…to the PA system or, or the sound between, say, sound check and show.…A big empty arena, there's a lot of space here…to fill, so it's going to be a very reverberant surface.…You've got a concrete floor.…You've got metal chairs.…You've got a roof of varying types of materials.…And everything has a coeficiant of reflectivity.…
We call that a standing wave. The distance between dashers.…The distance between a wall will just create…a perfect spot for that wave form to sit.…You try to get rid of that in a PA system without taking the life out of…the PA, cause you still want some of…that, you still want the energy that it's creating.…A lot of times when you first turn a PA on in the…morning or in the afternoon, before the people are in, you'll tend to want to…take out some high end. 3000 hertz to 6000 hertz.…You'll try to, you'll want to pull some of that down because all these chairs, all…these plastic things are reverberating coming right back…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.