Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Starting the day with the big picture, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…So when we come into a building in the…morning, the only thing that's here is the stage.…We carry the motors, we carry the truss, we carry the speakers, we carry the…amplifiers, the consoles, everything that you see…at the rock show, except for the stage.…We put back into a truck tonight.…Brad's the front of house mixer. I'm the monitor guy.…And him and I fly…the PA together.…
There are very few large arena tours like this where…the monitor guy and the front house mixer fly the PA.…I actually find that if I come in in the morning and assist in flying the…PA, I am a little readier than if I was just walking in and doing this.…But Brad and I kind of look at it the same way.…If he's not here, when the PA goes up in the air or when the Xs go on the floor.…He doesn't…really have the right to say, I don't like this…change it because he wasn't here when it all happened.…And my opinion, is it builds camaraderie anyway.…
You know, you make your friends while you load in and load out.…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Iyeoka, Recording Artist and Poetwith Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo9m 16s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.