Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Sound pressure level (SPL), loudness, and ear fatigue, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…As a front house mixer, what you want to do is you want to create…the energy that's coming from the stage, and from the band, to the audience.…A show like this, you're not going to go…more than 103, 104 decibels at its loudest.…I would venture to guess it the show runs between 99 and 101 most of the time.…In a really loud rock environment, if you are…at a Slayer show and or an Ozzy show and…it was a three hour show, I would probably put headphones on my myself if…I was the front of house guy and I had to mix it at 108, 109.…
In the case of a Rush show, where it is…a three hour show, he does not adjust his volume to…compensate for ear fatigue, because, he doesn't mix it loud enough…to the point of where the ear fatigue is going to happen.…In a club, a lot of times you can't help that because you…don't have the physical space to use a PA such as this.…So, you've got amplifiers right behind the…guitar player, an amplifier right behind the drummer,…right, you know, and live snare drums and the, and everything is just so close.…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Iyeoka, Recording Artist and Poetwith Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo9m 16s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.