Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Sound check from the monitor position, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…It's time for sound check.…The band comes onto the stage and they play a…couple of songs to help them support themselves through a show.…So they can check out what the building sounds like.…They can check where the seats are as well as when…they get up on stage they know that we have checked everything.…And that they're ready.…During this process is when I listen to each of the individual band mixes.…
I can listen to what they are hearing making…sure it sounds like I know it's supposed to sound.…I run the song just like I would run it during the show.…For the most part, I'm listening to everything on stage.…I'm listening to the drums.…I'm listening to the vocals. I'm listening to my own effects.…Doing this to make sure that when it comes showtime in about two and…a half hours, that everything that I know is correct now, will be correct later.…And it's stress…free because there's no audience there.…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.