Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Real-world example: Getting a basic monitor mix for different band members, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…What we're going to do now is we're doing basic mixing.…What we have is a four piece band.…We have a stage right guitar player who's also a singer.…We have a center guitar player who's a singer, a stage left bass…player, who's also a singer, and a…drummer, who unfortunately is also a singer.…So, there're not a whole of lot inputs but…they play, they, especially their vocal harmonies are very dynamic.…So what we're going to do is start off by building a mix for a…bass player.…
Anytime you're mixing for guys that play…different instruments, you don't just send one blend.…That, that, that's not fun for them.…Most guys want to have a blend, a little bit…of everything with their instrument on the very top.…So we're going to start with a bass player mix and here's the way we start.…You almost always start with the basics: kick, snare drum.…So we're going to bring a kick drum up.…We have two microphones on the kick drum;…we want to see which one works better for us.…That one not great right now.…
We could do some EQuing, we could do some compression,…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.