Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Preparing the wireless in-ear monitors for the band, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…During the show each band members wear a set of ear monitors.…They are wearing these ear monitors.…This is a company called Ultimate Ears.…This is the Ultimate Ears UE 18 Pro ear monitor.…It's a custom molded ear piece.…Each band member went to an audiologist, had a mold done of their ear, we send that…in, they take that impression, and they make…a acrylic shell that they then load with six…little armatures.…
An armature is a different kind of speaker, it doesn't have a paper cone that…moves back and forth, it's a little cube has a bell that moves back and forth.…This particular set has six of those.…Two for lows, two for mids and two for highs.…So how do we send audio to the headphones?…Which is what they are, they're just fancy headphones.…We do that through radio frequencies. This is the antenna…that transmits the ear monitor information out to…the belt packs that the guys all wear.…
You've seen a lot of flat blade panel style antenna,…and what they do is they throw a signal a plus this way, and a minus this way.…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.