Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Placing microphones on Neil Peart's drums and the rotating riser, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…Here we are at Neil Peart's drum set.…It is obviously not your standard drum set that you would…walk down to Long & McQuade in Toronto and buy in 1974.…It is custom-made DW. It's made for him to his specifications.…23-inch kick drum. 14-inch snare drum.…An 8, a 10, a 12 and a 14 tom.…A 15, a 16, another 16 that's a little bit deeper, and an 18 inch tom.…There's a piccolo snare over here that's a 12 by…three, and he's got varying cymbals that you can see.…
One of the issues about this kit is because…it's so tight, it's not very easy to mic.…So We've slid a little Audio Technica ATM25E for the snare top, we have…an Audio Technica AD3000 on the bottom snare, which is way underneath here.…One of the hardest problems with this drum…kit is that it is almost impossible to get…a microphone in a proper position on a hi-hat.…We solve this through the ATM 450, which is a side address mic.…So you're not pointing it, it's act, it's actually trying to read from the side.…
Which made it easy for us to get it in here.…The three high Toms are mic'd with a audio…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.