Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Monitor world: Setting up at the monitor engineer's position, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…I have a very specific place I set up on this tour.…I start my console with 15 feet from the down stage edge.…We have some set elements, and some scenics,…some other things on stage that kind of get…in my way and I have to be able to see all three artist at all times.…Some performers want you on the same level with them.…Some people don't really care. These guys don't really care where I am.…I find it distracting, as an audience member, to have too many people…up on stage, too much stuff to look at.…
By being off stage over here where I am, nobody's looking…at me unless they're really specifically looking for me and at me.…And I prefer being on the floor because when it's time to load out, I don't have…to get ramps, and stagehands to lift stuff down, I can close things up and be out.…It's just, a lot more efficient for me, for the…load in and load out, if I'm on the floor floor.…In the past, anytime you would see a console like…this, all the audio would actually take place in the console.…You'd have a strip of EQ and compression and gates that you would do right here.…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.