Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Mixing live sound for front of house, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
The big difference between being a monitor…engineer versus being a front of house engineer.…Monitor engineer has to deal specifically with…the band and the personalities on stage.…I'm building individualized mixes for each guy on stage.…The front house mixer he has a little more autonomy in some ways.…Of course they were closely with the band…and the management and, and the people involved…that want to make the shows as good as they can.…Their, their role as the front of house mixer is really…to create a bigger environment Then just what happens on stage.…
You do this through the use of a large PA system with lots of power.…In monitor world the console takes all the microphones, all…the direct lines, all the drums, all the keyboards in.…I manipulate them and then I do a blend for each guy and send…them out.…What front of house mixer would do in this case.…Is he would take all the microphones, all the drums, all the…voices, all the keyboards, into his console, manipulate them as he wants to.…And then he sends them out the large array of speakers.…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Iyeoka, Recording Artist and Poetwith Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo9m 16s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.