Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Guitar world: Getting the Alex Lifeson guitar sound, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
So here we are in guitar world.…This is where Alex's tech, Scott takes care of the guitars, takes care of…his amps, takes care of all the things that create the Alex lights and sound.…Here's how we do it.…We start with this amplifier right here.…When they made the last record, they used a…Martial Jubilee series 2553 head, and Alex really loved it.…So we put out the clarion call across the inner webs and some…of them came up and they figured out who…was trying to buy them and the price got astronomical.…
Another guy on the crew called some buddies of…his at a company called Mojo Tone in North Carolina.…And he said, we really would like have a copy of,…of 2553, martial jubilee series head and they came up with this.…It's called the lerxst omega and it is almost a direct copy.…Actually sounds little tighter than the Marshall in my opinion.…That's where you get these main dirty sounds.…That's his main guitar tone.…It's on 80% of the show.…For his clean sound, he uses the Mesa Boogie Mark V on a clean setting.…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Iyeoka, Recording Artist and Poetwith Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo9m 16s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.