Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Guitar world: Alex Lifeson's guitars, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…This year, Alex is carrying about 12 guitars.…Mostly, Les Pauls, he is carrying the 355 that he's well…known for, as well as the Telecaster we used for one song.…All the Les Pauls are pretty much standard,…a couple of them have a Floyd Rose…Trimolo, a couple of them have a Pizel pick up that was made by Graph Tech.…All of his guitars are on belt packs.…His tech coordinates frequencies the same way I do with the ear monitors everyday.…Some guitars will have two belt packs on them because the pies it'll…pick up is separate from the output that is the regular guitar output.…
So sometimes he'll be wearing two belt packs for…his guitar, and another one for his ear monitor.…He's a virtual walking RF up there sometimes.…A really good well made cable is going to sound different…than a really well made and proper RF-coordinated…radio belt pack.…They're not better or worse, they're just different.…The thing about belt packs is they have gain built into them.…So you can, if you're losing gain, you can turn it up in the belt pack.…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Iyeoka, Recording Artist and Poetwith Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo9m 16s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.