Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Getting a great isolated sound from the string section, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…On this tour, Rush for the first time ever,…is using other musicians to help them, exhibit their music.…In this case, it's a seven piece string section.…We have five violins, and two cello. Each of the violins have a bridge pickup.…The wooden piece actually has. An electro sensor on it.…It allows them to plugin into a quarter inch cable and we send it to the console.…The cello,…however, none of, they do not have bridge pickups.…So they are using this product here.…
It's called a Mighty Mini.…And it is nothing more than a…piezoelectric pickup that's in a piece of leather.…That they wrap through their strings.…So it becomes in essence a pickup and it works quite well actually.…So, what we do is we take each of the…strings and they go through this brand new radial DI,…it's called the PZDI, it's a brand new product,…in fact we were the first people to have em.…After it leaves the PZDI, hits this rack of Harrison preamps.…Harrison preamps, world renowned English preamps, one…of the best sounding preamps ever made.…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Iyeoka, Recording Artist and Poetwith Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo9m 16s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.