Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Geddy Lee's stage position: Vocals, bass, and keyboards, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
During the show while up here singing and playing bass. He is playing the keyboards with his feet. They will trigger a sample from off-stage. It might be a vocal. It might be a rhythmic sequence. It might just be a noise. It might be a guitar line. It can be just about anything. But primiarly, it's vocals right now especially during the clock work angel set. These pedals are the same as those pedals all the time. This keyboard is not a piano. It is a contoller. It controls samples just the way Alex is control samples, just the way the foot pedals control samples.
The Minimoog, however, is actually a Minimoog. It actually makes a Minimoog sound. It's used twice during the show, once during Subdivisions, once during Tom Sawyer. All the vocal mics are identical, all four. We have keyboard position, the main vocal position, we have Alex's vocal position, and we always maintain a spare microphone down here in case one of them breaks. They are all Audio Technica 6100's.
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Intermediate
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.