Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Flying the PA speaker arrays, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…In the morning, we unload the trucks.…All of the speakers come out of the trucks.…We get the rigging up, we get the motors up, we attach the necessary…things to the back of the PA systems, so that we can assemble it.…Then one at a time, the speakers get attached to each other, get lifted up.…Drop it down, put another speaker under it, lift that up.…Today is the full compliment, we're doing 14 in the front and…10 on the side.…Once you get the PA up in the air, you have adjusted for the…angles that you want everything to be at, and we do that with pins.…
We're doing about 74 degrees worth of coverage totally.…And then we use a come-along to compress the back of…the PA together, which gives us the curve that we want.…We make sure we hit the top, we make sure we hit…the bottom, and then we use the front fills for anything that…we haven't hit.…We walk into a building, and we can look around, and…we know our how high our hook height needs to be.…We're at 41 feet to the bottom of the…PA today, which means our hook height is about 70.…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Iyeoka, Recording Artist and Poetwith Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo9m 16s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.