Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Discussing the advantages of subwoofers and front-fill speakers, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…There's a lot of different ways to set up a subwoofer.…The way we do it on this tour is…we have eight of them across the stage equally spaced.…It gives us a chance, we can time align them…a little bit so we spread the low end energy out.…Technically, we have enough low end.…In the PA that's up in the air to do the show but the…floor is a little bit light of low end energy if we don't employ these.…On top of each of these double 18 subwoofers is a front fill.…
It's a standard speaker 100 degrees wide.…And it points speakers at the front two rows that you…might miss out of a PA that's 42 feet in the air.…So the people in the front row aren't just getting pounded by low end…energy all night, they're also getting a full range signal from these as well.…And because the PA is so far away at 40 feet in the air they might miss some…real intimacy, some real dramatic, you know, in your face audio.…So we employ these guys and these guys for the people on the floor in the front rows.…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Iyeoka, Recording Artist and Poetwith Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo9m 16s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.