Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Communicating with Geddy, Alex, and Neil during the show, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…Through the use of snapshots we can have the band have a…more pleasant experience performing because they…know that when it comes to this…particular section of song, they're not going to have to look at me and…go, more guitar, more guitar, because the comptuer knows how to do it.…It's already set.…And, and we can go to a song and they say…hey, during this part of this song I want this to happen.…With this band if they'res an issue I can tell by their face.…
I've done almost 600 shows with these guys.…I can tell when Ged's struggling vocally. We have one cue.…He taps the top of his head, that tells me that he wants more high end on his vocal.…It hasn't happened much this tour, but he'll…occasionally give me a really quick head jerk.…That's a cue that he wants his vocal up.…Everything else, it's been so well maintained…through the programming that we've spent a…lot of time doing, that we don't really have a lot of issues with that.…You know, the samples come up when the samples are supposed to come up,…the keyboard's turned up when the keyboards…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.