Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Choosing the right PA for the venue, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…When you come into the building early in the morning, first thing you do is…you get the sell sheet, so that you know where the people are actually sitting.…Once you know where they are, then you start…taking into consideration, maybe the building is askew, maybe…one side has luxury boxes, one doesn't, maybe one…side has a big glass wall, maybe another doesn't.…If we hadn't sold well upstairs, or we didn't have…anybody upstairs, we might not bring in as many speakers.…So having the knowledge…of what's going on in the building may make it easier in the afternoon once…they start listening to the PA system, and…feeling it out, and knowing what's going on.…
If you walk into a club, if you walk into a bar, you walk into a theater,…and you want to assess where the things are…that are going to cause the problems for the day.…One side has a hard wall, maybe you're in a theater.…One side's got a hard plaster wall, and the other side is a soft wall.…Maybe you've got a bar on one side that you don't to necessarily want…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Iyeoka, Recording Artist and Poetwith Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo9m 16s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.