Join Brent Carpenter for an in-depth discussion in this video Audio rigging: Motors and cables, part of Live Sound Engineering Techniques: On Tour with Rush.
…This is a motor. This will be used to pick up a trust…that will hold all of our cables that go to the PA as we lift it up in the air.…The way it works, the motor pulls one chain through.…And there's a pulley in the top that sends the…other chain back down and it feeds itself back through.…This a half ton motor so it's…capable of about 1100 pounds before it stops working.…
Chain bag.…We have a double safe chain bag because It's got hooks that attach here to hold…the bag in place and then we also have a strap that goes around the bag…that way any one of them can fail and the chain, and the bag,…still won't fall. Safety first.…These are the cables that are both…electricity and the control circuitry for the motors.…
We use a total of nine motors. For this particular PA hang.…Two to pick up the main hang.…Two that we use that we call pull back for adjustability of the horizontal plane.…Two that pick up the side hang.…One that does the pull back for the side hang.…And two for the cable bridge. So that the cables all drop off stage…
- Choosing the PA for the venue
- Setting up points, motors and cables, and trusses
- Getting the best use of both analog and digital signal paths
- How Rush gets that Geddy, Alex, and Neil live sound
- Setting up the digital monitor mix console
- Doing the line check and sound check
- Using audience microphones to connect the band to their fans
- Getting even coverage in a large arena
- Working the monitor console and the power of snapshots
- Loading out of the venue
Skill Level Intermediate
Music Studio Setup and Acousticswith Bobby Owsinski1h 20m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
The Creative Spark: Iyeoka, Recording Artist and Poetwith Iyeoka Ivie Okoawo9m 16s Appropriate for all
1. Setting Up the Sound System
2. The Onstage Monitor Mix
3. The Clockwork Angels Stage Tour
4. Front-of-House Sound
5. When the Band Hits the Stage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.