Discover the industry secrets to recording crisp, rich vocals and instruments tracks, as renowned audio engineer Bobby Owsinski walks through the process of miking and tracking a complete song by Underground Sun recording artist Iyeoka and A-list session musicians in a top-of-the-line studio in a way that is applicable to any recording space and musical genre.
- View Offline
- Hi and welcome to Audio Recording Techniques. I'm Bobby Owsinski, author of The Recording Engineer's Handbook as well as 15 other books on mixing, recording, and the music business. I developed this course with the intention of helping you create better recordings. Maybe you're new to recording and you're not entirely sure if you're doing it right. Maybe you think your recordings sound wimpy and small but you don't know why or maybe you feel like you know the basics but wanna know how the pros do it. That's where Audio Recording Techniques comes in. Throughout this course I'll show you many of the best practices for recording almost any type of musical instrument and I'll explain the reason behind each method along the way.
We'll unlock the secrets of recording as we track a song from scratch with world class musicians at Playback Recording Studio in Santa Barbara, California. We'll discuss things like: how to optimize your listening environment so you can really hear exactly what you're recording, how to choose the right microphone for any situation and why different microphones types and polar patterns are used, how to set up the correct recording levels at all stages of the signal path, how to tune up and mic all parts of the drum set as well as what to expect from a great drummer, how to record rhythm section instruments like electric and acoustic guitars, bass, piano, and keyboards, how to capture the best sounds for lead and background vocals, ? Have broken into my heart ? The is time I feel the blues have departed ? how to set up an effective headphone cue mix to help bring out the best performance from a lead vocalist, ? I know I am simply falling ? and the general principals to record just about any electric or acoustic instrument that you can think of.
At the end of the course I'll even show you how to create a great rough mix of the song that we recorded. The song we'll be featuring is "Simply Falling" by the artist lyeoka. Now join me as we dive into Audio Recording Techniques.
- Optimizing your listening environment
- Listening to how different microphone types affect recording
- Choosing the right microphone for the right recording application
- Positioning microphones for a wide variety of recording scenarios
- Utilizing proper gain staging, preamps, and direct boxes
- Avoiding phase cancellation
- Using a compressor, equalizer, and high-pass filter during recording
- Setting up a headphone mix
- Adding the right amount of compression or equalization
- Capturing great sounds from drums, guitars, basses, keyboards, pianos, strings, and vocals
- Creating a great drum set sound
- Getting the best out of any singer
- Dealing with microphone leakage
- Utilizing a variety of stereo miking techniques
- Setting up and producing a recording session
- Creating a rough mix in any digital audio workstation (DAW)