Learn about what makes Audacity so appealing, probably the combination of its power and its price. Its power is impressive. You’ll find certain tools and abilities that match pro-level audio editing applications. And its price is 100% free. Audacity is open-source software and it’s distributed freely, meaning anyone can download and use the software for free.
- [Instructor] So what exactly is Audacity? Well, if you're watching this course, you probably already have at least a vague notion that it's a piece of software for editing audio. What makes Audacity so appealing is probably the combination of its power and its price. Its power is impressive, you'll find certain tools and abilities that match pro level audio editing applications and its price is 100% free. Audacity is open source software, meaning that it's a result of a collaborative effort. Multiple developers work on it and are constantly tweaking and improving it, and it's distributed freely, meaning anyone can download and use the software for free. But that also means there's no real customer support to speak of, you generally can't call a number to get help with open source software, but Audacity does have pretty great online documentation and an active community you can participate in to ask questions and even offer your own advice. Just go to forum.audacityteam.org to browse their forums. And for being free, Audacity is an amazingly feature-packed program. It's great for editing existing audio as well as recording audio from scratch. It includes multi-track capabilities, meaning you can record one track and then go back and record a separate track that will play simultaneously with the original one. But before we get into all of that we'll first take a look at how to install Audacity on your Mac or PC.
- Downloading and installing Audacity
- Importing audio
- Setting up hardware to record
- Recording two tracks simultaneously
- Basic editing and common effects
- Splitting clips
- Exporting a project
- Inserting silence
- Bleeping unwanted words and sounds