This video provides a brief overview and description of the pipeline and the different sections that a concept artist is involved with.
- [Instructor] Whether it be games, film, or animation,…all great things start with an idea,…or what we call the design brief.…Having one is important.…However, being able to attach visuals to an idea…makes it come to life.…This is where concept artist comes in.…It's your responsibility…to start exploring all the possibilities.…The cool thing is since nothing's been established,…we get to play with a big, blank canvas.…It's both fun and intimidating at the same time.…
Blue sky.…Pretty much it's what it sounds like.…The sky's the limit, meaning there are no rules set.…Exploration in styles, color,…characters, archetypes,…settings, and more are really encouraged.…Since nothing's been created for this world,…this is where you creative talents come into play,…to bring ideas to life…as well as great new ones in this process.…Being an artist in this phase of the project…is highly-coveted,…so competition for these jobs are pretty fierce.…
Production.…Once an art direction is established,…concept artists are tasked with producing character designs,…
- What is concept art?
- Producing concept art
- Developing images
- The difference between design and illustration
- Communicating your ideas
- Sketching in your sketchbook
- Making characters and creatures
- Conceptualizing vehicles, props, and environments
- Working with 3D artists and animators
- Creating a cohesive universe
- Building your portfolio
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
Story and Character Development for Animationwith Andrew Gordon15m 4s Intermediate
1. The Production Pipeline
2. Developing Ideas
3. Types of Concept Art
4. It's a Team Effort
Needs vs. wants56s
5. Starting Your Journey: Becoming a Concept Artist
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.