This video examines flat, filbert, and rigger brushes to show how to use each brush for different areas of a painting.
- (Teacher) So the main brushes we're going to be using…on this course are flat brushes.…Flat brushes can be really good for painting in buildings…because you've got that flat edge.…It gives you a nice sharp finish,…just through the shape of the brush.…So I've got two different types of flat brushes here.…These brushes here are more for a oil painting,…that's what they're designed for.…They're a bit stiffer brush.…And this is for, designed for acrylic painting,…and is got a softer bristle to it.…
So just to show you the marks that these brushes make,…I've just got some titanium white here.…I'm just going to dip the brush…into a bit of water of start with.…What that helps to do is…just bring the bristles together at the end.…So you can see how you can get a nice sharp edge,…and a nice flat mark with it.…
Again, a bit of water on that.…So that's in comparison to a filbert brush,…which I'll use in some parts of the painting.…You see how this has got a curve…to the top of the brush,…and that just means that it's a lot easier…
- Painting color and light with acrylics
- Observing different lighting conditions
- Choosing the right materials and brush size
- Adding texture onto the canvas
- Drawing architecture accurately using verticals and scaling up
- Judging color in isolation to mix harmonious color strings
- Practicing line variation with the rigger brush
- Adding fine lines for architectural detail
- Painting water
- Thinking abstractly to create impressionistic brush marks
- Increasing color saturation
- Injecting a warmth and glow by glazing
- Adding an impressionistic flair with a palette knife
Skill Level Intermediate
Drawing Foundations: Urban Sketchingwith Will Kemp3h 28m Intermediate
1. Materials and Setup
2. Drawing Out and Black and White Study
3. Mixing Pastel Base Colors
4. Extending Our Color Palette
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.