- What is concept art?
- Producing concept art
- Developing images
- The difference between design and illustration
- Communicating your ideas
- Sketching in your sketchbook
- Making characters and creatures
- Conceptualizing vehicles, props, and environments
- Working with 3D artists and animators
- Creating a cohesive universe
- Building your portfolio
Skill Level Beginner
- [Patrick] Hi everyone, and welcome. My name is Patrick Ballesteros. I am a concept designer and illustrator working in games, film, and animation. And I'm here to help you understand what is concept art? If you're new to art, a continuing student, or even an artist switching disciplines, please keep in mind that while developing your skills everything you do in life can and should be used in your professional career. Not just art, but places you have traveled, people you've met, and things you have done will be the core foundation of where your ideas come from.
The trick to developing this skill will be on your ability to observe, analyze what you see, and be able to incorporate it into your design sensibility. A concept artist is a person who is able to come up with ideas. And those ideas do not pop out of thin air, so what we, as artists, need to rely on are our experiences in life. The sooner we can begin to access this visual library based on our experiences, the sooner we become good designers or concept artists.
From this point on, consider yourself a lifelong student. Not in the sense that you'll always be taking classes or being graded on something, but more like you'll be studying life. Have more awareness of things around you and notice things that spark your interest or provide you with inspiration for shapes, design, color schemes, et cetera. Notice a cool vehicle on the side of the road, or what people are wearing. What you are doing here is creating and filling up an image library in your head.
However, as a concept artist it is not just our ability to observe and draw that is important, but also our ability to design. One of the key things to remember is that the act of just drawing is not designing, and this is an idea that will expressed and discussed throughout this course. Our game plan is to help you understand what concept art is, what the job entails, how to utilize your current skill sets, and apply them to the design role for entertainment.
So let's get to the good stuff and look at some cool art.