Learn the skills and tools you'll need to pursue a career in art and illustration, and the jobs that you can get with them.
- I'm Kristin Ellison, the Content Manager of Art & Illustration. We created this course to help you get started when it comes to your career in the arts. Whether you've just graduated or are thinking about a career shift, this course will help you get started. We'll begin with the core elements; drawing, composition, color, and the creative process. Breaking art and illustration down to it's most basic elements helps us see what is most important and why.
No matter what type of art or illustration you do and what media, digital or analog, all of these elements will remain fundamental to your process. We'll then explore what specific skills you'll need for careers in illustration and fine art. Although there's quite a bit of cross over between them, there are certain skills, software, and topics that are specific to each. Lastly, we'll take a look at the business of art and illustration. For many, the business side can be the most challenging.
But it's as important as the work. Knowing how to promote your work, present it, and get paid for it is what will keep your business thriving. This course is a general overview of the essentials of art and illustration that you need to know. I won't be covering them in depth but instead I'll suggest courses that focus on each topic. We have some amazing courses in which creative pros with years of experience share the tips and tricks they've learned the hard way.
So, let's get started learning all about what you need to know to ensure a successful and rewarding career in art and illustration.
Kristin Ellison—the content manager of art and illustration at LinkedIn Learning—kicks off the course by walking through the core elements of the creative process: drawing, composition, and color. Next, she highlights the specific skills and software you'll need to successfully launch a career in 2D illustration, 3D illustration, and fine art. To wrap up, Kristin covers the business of art and illustration, sharing how to promote, present, and get paid for your work. Throughout the course, Kristin mentions additional courses you can reference to get an in-depth look at specific tools and skills.
- Learning about the core elements of the creative process
- Understanding the power of composition
- Understanding color
- Pursuing careers in 2D illustration, 3D illustration, and fine art
- Promoting and presenting your work
- Getting paid for your work