This video shows how using glazing liquid will help to blend edges of our base colors together.
- So before we start on our main painting…I'm just going to show you a little demonstration…on how I use acrylic glazing gloss,…which is a medium that I use…to blend acrylic paints together.…Mostly I dilute acrylics with water,…but the glazing liquid enables me…to work vertical at the easel,…extends the working time of the paint,…and also allows some smooth blends of thin patches of color.…(gentle piano music)…So once you've got a block in with your painting…you can then work other colors over the top…and then start to try and smoke the edges…and blend them together.…
So, for example, if we take some light…and then a little bit of the sky blue…and then I've just got some water in here,…and if I just add water into blend…you'll see instantly what happens…is that it dilutes the paint,…but then it comes down the actual board…or the canvas that you're working on.…
So what can be really handy is to use a medium…in with your acrylics to give you a bit more working time…and enable you to smoke the edges of the corners…of the paint when your trying to blend them together.…
- Painting color and light with acrylics
- Observing different lighting conditions
- Choosing the right materials and brush size
- Adding texture onto the canvas
- Drawing architecture accurately using verticals and scaling up
- Judging color in isolation to mix harmonious color strings
- Practicing line variation with the rigger brush
- Adding fine lines for architectural detail
- Painting water
- Thinking abstractly to create impressionistic brush marks
- Increasing color saturation
- Injecting a warmth and glow by glazing
- Adding an impressionistic flair with a palette knife
Skill Level Intermediate
Drawing Foundations: Urban Sketchingwith Will Kemp3h 28m Intermediate
1. Materials and Setup
2. Drawing Out and Black and White Study
3. Mixing Pastel Base Colors
4. Extending Our Color Palette
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.