This video simplifies the tonal studies by identifying large value shapes.
- So the challenge was to try and simplify…a full color image into four different blocks…of tonal value ranges.…So what I'm going to do now is show you through…how I approached it,…and some of the mistakes I made…when I first judged a value…and then had to change it later in the painting.…(gentle instrumental music)…So because we're just using these four tones,…you just need to concentrate on the image…that we're looking at and then just think,…if you had to choose one of those,…which tone is going to be the closest?…And it can be a really handy technique…just to get your eyes in tuned…with the lightness and darkness values…within the composition.…
So I'm going to start with the darkest tone to start with,…this is a Carbon Black,…you could also use a Mask Black or a Bone Black…would also work well.…And I don't want to use any water on my paint,…just because I'm working onto a printer paper…and if you add water to it,…then it will start to buckle,…so the paint straight from the tube.…I want to just start down here,…
- Painting color and light with acrylics
- Observing different lighting conditions
- Choosing the right materials and brush size
- Adding texture onto the canvas
- Drawing architecture accurately using verticals and scaling up
- Judging color in isolation to mix harmonious color strings
- Practicing line variation with the rigger brush
- Adding fine lines for architectural detail
- Painting water
- Thinking abstractly to create impressionistic brush marks
- Increasing color saturation
- Injecting a warmth and glow by glazing
- Adding an impressionistic flair with a palette knife
Skill Level Intermediate
Drawing Foundations: Urban Sketchingwith Will Kemp3h 28m Intermediate
1. Materials and Setup
2. Drawing Out and Black and White Study
3. Mixing Pastel Base Colors
4. Extending Our Color Palette
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.