This video examines the color wheel as it relates to the main study and compares color temperatures so you can select your pigment range.
- So now I'm going to introduce the pigments…we're going to be using for the first stages of the painting.…Fromm these first colors, we'll create some…lovely pastel base tones that will sit in harmony together.…We'll be able to test the swatches of our mixes…on to a laminated reference photograph,…so we know that are initial mixes are accurate.…All I've done here is print the image on to photo paper…and put it through a laminating machine.…It can really build your confidence in color mixing…because you can test your color directly on to…the reference image before committing to canvas.…
So just before we start to mix our base tones,…I'm just going to add some water into the stay wet palette.…So we've got our grease proof paper on top…and then our blotting paper underneath.…So, just lay that down.…And then just soak that with water.…(water sloshing)…And you can just move it around until it's all covered.…
And soaked in.…And just watch the corners to make sure…they're all flat into the corners.…They're going to be the things that we'll try to peel up…
- Painting color and light with acrylics
- Observing different lighting conditions
- Choosing the right materials and brush size
- Adding texture onto the canvas
- Drawing architecture accurately using verticals and scaling up
- Judging color in isolation to mix harmonious color strings
- Practicing line variation with the rigger brush
- Adding fine lines for architectural detail
- Painting water
- Thinking abstractly to create impressionistic brush marks
- Increasing color saturation
- Injecting a warmth and glow by glazing
- Adding an impressionistic flair with a palette knife
Skill Level Intermediate
Drawing Foundations: Urban Sketchingwith Will Kemp3h 28m Intermediate
1. Materials and Setup
2. Drawing Out and Black and White Study
3. Mixing Pastel Base Colors
4. Extending Our Color Palette
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.