This video covers creating impressionistic and abstract brush marks in the water and creating a painterly feel.
(quiet instrumental music)…- [Instructor] So now we can start…to bring in the water and just marry…the colors together from the building…and the gondola and the water in the middle…so they're all in harmony.…So again, just starting with that top sky color,…which was the lightest color that hit the water,…and then we're just going to work the tones downwards.…(quiet instrumental music)…This is with the size six classic short flat.…
And then when you're looking on this bottom line,…you can jump your eye up to the top horizon line…around the building, and just see if there's anything there…that could be tweaked or enhanced,…and I could put a bit more color here,…just to push that blue tone.…So again, we're just working throughout…the entire of the painting.…Even though we're working a section at a time,…you're still just kind of aware…of how it's all matching in together.…
This is just some of the lightest peach tone we've mixed,…and I'm just keeping it here on the left hand side…so it's giving the illusion of reflecting…
- Painting color and light with acrylics
- Observing different lighting conditions
- Choosing the right materials and brush size
- Adding texture onto the canvas
- Drawing architecture accurately using verticals and scaling up
- Judging color in isolation to mix harmonious color strings
- Practicing line variation with the rigger brush
- Adding fine lines for architectural detail
- Painting water
- Thinking abstractly to create impressionistic brush marks
- Increasing color saturation
- Injecting a warmth and glow by glazing
- Adding an impressionistic flair with a palette knife
Skill Level Intermediate
Drawing Foundations: Urban Sketchingwith Will Kemp3h 28m Intermediate
1. Materials and Setup
2. Drawing Out and Black and White Study
3. Mixing Pastel Base Colors
4. Extending Our Color Palette
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.