This video covers introducing a richer blue to the gondola and adding detail to the figures.
- So, now we're going to introduce the Ultramarine Blue…into our palette, and this will extend the color palette…and work in contrast to all the nice warm tones…we've already established.…By introducing the Ultramarine Blue to the gondola,…it will separate it out slightly from the rest…of the painting, giving us that stronger sense of blue…on that front, main object that we're looking at,…but it will also, by having that blue in the foreground,…balance better with the cooler tones…we've already got established in the sky.…
So when you're tweaking the drawing,…you're half working between the shapes around the outside…and also the shapes on the inside of this object,…so you can just work between two brushes…so you get that nice movement, that S-shape…that we talked about before.…
And then the sunlight's coming through,…hitting the edge here.…You've got this lovely color that we can use,…a Cadmium Orange.…Just to add that highlight.…
And then again, swap to the other brush…to refine the shape.…Having the contrasting color between the orange highlights…
- Painting color and light with acrylics
- Observing different lighting conditions
- Choosing the right materials and brush size
- Adding texture onto the canvas
- Drawing architecture accurately using verticals and scaling up
- Judging color in isolation to mix harmonious color strings
- Practicing line variation with the rigger brush
- Adding fine lines for architectural detail
- Painting water
- Thinking abstractly to create impressionistic brush marks
- Increasing color saturation
- Injecting a warmth and glow by glazing
- Adding an impressionistic flair with a palette knife
Skill Level Intermediate
Drawing Foundations: Urban Sketchingwith Will Kemp3h 28m Intermediate
1. Materials and Setup
2. Drawing Out and Black and White Study
3. Mixing Pastel Base Colors
4. Extending Our Color Palette
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.