This video covers building up the painting and starting to add details.
(soft gentle music)…- So now I've come back to the painting…after the initial block in.…And I've just put out a couple of extra colors.…I've put out some yellow ochre and some titanium white.…And that way I can now work still with these base colors.…But if any of the areas,…say in the middle of the building here,…just need a little bit of warming up with the yellow,…I can just jump to the yellow ochre.…
And I'm trying to keep just with these tones to start with…before I then reintroduce the extended palette…of the pigment straight out of the jeep.…So we're going to start with, we can take a tone here.…I'm looking here at the shadow tone on the first building.…You can try a sample on that.…You can see on that right side it's not too bad,…but it's definitely too light still.…It needs to be toned down slightly.…So the darker mix that we've got now,…that we used for the foreground of the gondolier,…you can add a bit of that into your mix.…
Do another quick test.…Getting better.…Still could be a bit darker.…Still getting better.…
- Painting color and light with acrylics
- Observing different lighting conditions
- Choosing the right materials and brush size
- Adding texture onto the canvas
- Drawing architecture accurately using verticals and scaling up
- Judging color in isolation to mix harmonious color strings
- Practicing line variation with the rigger brush
- Adding fine lines for architectural detail
- Painting water
- Thinking abstractly to create impressionistic brush marks
- Increasing color saturation
- Injecting a warmth and glow by glazing
- Adding an impressionistic flair with a palette knife
Skill Level Intermediate
Drawing Foundations: Urban Sketchingwith Will Kemp3h 28m Intermediate
1. Materials and Setup
2. Drawing Out and Black and White Study
3. Mixing Pastel Base Colors
4. Extending Our Color Palette
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.