This video shows how to practice line variation with the rigger brush to add fine line details.
- Now I want to show you the marks…that can be made with a rigger brush.…And this brush can be really good…for adding details to architectural elements…and for getting super smooth fine lines.…So here's a rigger brush, and you can see…it has this really long bristle to it.…And that makes it so handy for getting…these really long, thin strokes, just from one brushstroke.…So is it designed initially for drawing…and painting exactly that, the rigging on a boat.…
So if I just add a bit of the glazing liquid,…and a touch of water, just to get…a nice consistency of the paint.…You see how when I'm mixing it together…I'm then twiddling my thumb around…so that I'm spinning the bristles into the paint.…And what this can help to do is just give you…a nice tip of the end of the paint for doing your rigging.…
So I find they can be handy for doing little dashes…as well as uprights.…So you can get these really nice thin lines…with these brushes in comparison to…if you're using a round brush.…
Let me just show you.…So here's a round brush, this is a size four.…
- Painting color and light with acrylics
- Observing different lighting conditions
- Choosing the right materials and brush size
- Adding texture onto the canvas
- Drawing architecture accurately using verticals and scaling up
- Judging color in isolation to mix harmonious color strings
- Practicing line variation with the rigger brush
- Adding fine lines for architectural detail
- Painting water
- Thinking abstractly to create impressionistic brush marks
- Increasing color saturation
- Injecting a warmth and glow by glazing
- Adding an impressionistic flair with a palette knife
Skill Level Intermediate
Drawing Foundations: Urban Sketchingwith Will Kemp3h 28m Intermediate
1. Materials and Setup
2. Drawing Out and Black and White Study
3. Mixing Pastel Base Colors
4. Extending Our Color Palette
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.