Learn about the importance of consistency, and being able to design a world that all fits together on the screen.
- [Instructor] The time period and setting of your project…is crucial to the creation of your environments.…I like to break down environment development…into two sections, mood and development.…For mood you are using color,…lighting, shapes and atmosphere…to create a feel for the world.…Is it dark, fun or bright?…Is it serious?…Is it for adults, for kids or for both?…At this stage, you're working to make viewers…and the concept and production teams…excited about the designs.…
For example, in Eddie Mendoza's Junk Planet iterations,…he creates a world that has a vast emptiness…and quiet feel to it.…The colors and compositional elements he integrates…into each thumbnail sketch are rough,…but help support the very serene, open areas.…Nothing is fully fleshed out,…but you get a scope of the type of world…he wants you to be a part of.…Now let's talk about development.…Development takes the mood pieces and breaks it down…bit by bit into elements that can then be created in 3D.…
In the above black and white image,…Eddie has taken one of his mood pieces…
- What is concept art?
- Producing concept art
- Developing images
- The difference between design and illustration
- Communicating your ideas
- Sketching in your sketchbook
- Making characters and creatures
- Conceptualizing vehicles, props, and environments
- Working with 3D artists and animators
- Creating a cohesive universe
- Building your portfolio
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
Story and Character Development for Animationwith Andrew Gordon15m 4s Intermediate
1. The Production Pipeline
2. Developing Ideas
3. Types of Concept Art
4. It's a Team Effort
Needs vs. wants56s
5. Starting Your Journey: Becoming a Concept Artist
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.