You must have the ability to focus on the job at hand, and design what needs to be designed for a project.
- [Patrick] Understanding how to work with others…and what is important to a project…will enable you and everyone on the team…to start creating a cohesive universe.…Styles may differ from one artist to the next,…but once in production you almost have to be a chameleon…and be able to adapt to a project's style.…I was given this initial ape concept…for the Oasis animated short.…This ape was the main hero of the story,…so my designs for the imp and the giant colossus…needed to fit in the same world.…
Now there are subtle differences between my style…and the original ape concept,…but the lighthearted tone…and stylized look match one another,…and that's what's important to hit right away.…The final ape design changed a bit,…but when you put it side-by-side…with my characters and the environment,…they all feel similar in tone and style.…As your concepts go down the pipeline,…they are made even more cohesive…via the modelers, lighters, and animators.…Again, teamwork, willingness to adapt,…and understanding the needs of the project…
- What is concept art?
- Producing concept art
- Developing images
- The difference between design and illustration
- Communicating your ideas
- Sketching in your sketchbook
- Making characters and creatures
- Conceptualizing vehicles, props, and environments
- Working with 3D artists and animators
- Creating a cohesive universe
- Building your portfolio
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
Story and Character Development for Animationwith Andrew Gordon15m 4s Intermediate
1. The Production Pipeline
2. Developing Ideas
3. Types of Concept Art
4. It's a Team Effort
Needs vs. wants56s
5. Starting Your Journey: Becoming a Concept Artist
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.