Achieving clarity in your drawings and having the ability to explain your concepts to your team is crucial for the production workflow.
- [Instructor] Being able to communicate…with clear visuals to your team or client,…doesn't mean everything you draw has to be a gem.…As long as the idea's there and can be understood,…then it's a successful piece of concept art.…I was asked to design a coffee label…for a coffee company in San Diego called Mostra.…They wanted something different and brought me on board…because a lot of the fun sketch I do in pen and ink.…Now, I'm not a graphic designer by trade,…but I took a lot of my skills as a concept designer…and applied it to this project.…
I decided to play up the idea of monsters…and gave them this scribble in our first meeting.…It's nothing pretty, but it got everyone's brains going.…As the meeting carried on, I did a few more scribbles…with more and more possibilities, all on the spot.…The ability to do this is not only invaluable…for the artist, but instills confidence…in you by the client.…After our first meeting,…I got to work at home doing these types of designs.…I would send them rough, unpolished drawings with enough…
- What is concept art?
- Producing concept art
- Developing images
- The difference between design and illustration
- Communicating your ideas
- Sketching in your sketchbook
- Making characters and creatures
- Conceptualizing vehicles, props, and environments
- Working with 3D artists and animators
- Creating a cohesive universe
- Building your portfolio
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
Story and Character Development for Animationwith Andrew Gordon15m 4s Appropriate for all
1. The Production Pipeline
2. Developing Ideas
3. Types of Concept Art
4. It's a Team Effort
Needs vs. wants56s
5. Starting Your Journey: Becoming a Concept Artist
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.