This video introduces a method used by landscape painter Edward Seago to add texture to the surface of the support before starting the painting.
- [Instructor] For our main study of the Venetian sunset,…I'll be using a pre mixed pale umber color…from Windsor and Newton for the color ground.…This pre mixed color is only available…in a galleria range from Windsor and Newton.…I'll also be using some coarse molding paste…from Golden paints for the texture.…To show how dark or light the tonal values are…in our reference image,…I'll be holding up swatches of neutral gray tones.…
These also come from Golden paints,…pre mixed from the manufacturer.…So for choosing a harmonious color for our colored ground,…I wanted a color that was quite neutral…but also had a little bit of warmth to it…that would just warm up these buildings…and all the colors that are in the water…as well as some of the tones that are in the sky.…So here's a sample of the color ground color.…
And this is from Windsor and Newton.…This is a pale pale umber and this is painted…straight from the tube.…Just diluted very slightly with a little bit of water.…But you can see how it gives it this lovely tone…
- Painting color and light with acrylics
- Observing different lighting conditions
- Choosing the right materials and brush size
- Adding texture onto the canvas
- Drawing architecture accurately using verticals and scaling up
- Judging color in isolation to mix harmonious color strings
- Practicing line variation with the rigger brush
- Adding fine lines for architectural detail
- Painting water
- Thinking abstractly to create impressionistic brush marks
- Increasing color saturation
- Injecting a warmth and glow by glazing
- Adding an impressionistic flair with a palette knife
Skill Level Intermediate
Drawing Foundations: Urban Sketchingwith Will Kemp3h 28m Intermediate
1. Materials and Setup
2. Drawing Out and Black and White Study
3. Mixing Pastel Base Colors
4. Extending Our Color Palette
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.