This video explores at the difference between canvas bounce, board, and canvas board.
- [Instructor] So on the course,…I demonstrate on a board for the smaller studies…and then on to a canvas for the larger studies.…And it's a personal preference really,…but the most common difference is the bounce factor…that you get when you're working with a canvas.…So if I press my finger on to the canvas here,…you can see that it's bouncing back and that's just because…there's just nothing underneath the canvas,…it's just supported by the stretch bars on the outside.…
So there's always going to be that flexibility…and bounce into that surface.…In comparison, when you've got a board,…you can press on to it, you can work into it…with a palette knife, and there's no bounce back.…So, this can be handy when you're first starting…because you can go on quite thickly with a palette knife…and the board structure stays exactly the same.…With the canvas, you've just got to be…a little bit more careful that you don't press…really, really hard into it,…but also if you're trying to get very, very fine lines,…it can be harder sometimes with the canvas…
- Painting color and light with acrylics
- Observing different lighting conditions
- Choosing the right materials and brush size
- Adding texture onto the canvas
- Drawing architecture accurately using verticals and scaling up
- Judging color in isolation to mix harmonious color strings
- Practicing line variation with the rigger brush
- Adding fine lines for architectural detail
- Painting water
- Thinking abstractly to create impressionistic brush marks
- Increasing color saturation
- Injecting a warmth and glow by glazing
- Adding an impressionistic flair with a palette knife
Skill Level Intermediate
Drawing Foundations: Urban Sketchingwith Will Kemp3h 28m Intermediate
1. Materials and Setup
2. Drawing Out and Black and White Study
3. Mixing Pastel Base Colors
4. Extending Our Color Palette
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.