Learn about characters, vehicles, assets, and more.
- [Patrick] Whether it be for game, film, or animation,…a character or characters…are needed for an audience to follow.…The good guy, the bad guy, the hero,…the comic relief and loyal steed,…to the henchman troll or villainous dragon.…It's a lot of fun designing these types of characters,…but the challenging part will come in the iteration process.…Iterations can take on many forms,…from changing the proportions of the body,…to creating head design variations…to alter the personalities of characters,…like with these elf designs.…
Even slight costume variations like these…are a part of a normal workflow.…This creature design of the imp…done for the animated short The Oasis,…was another iterative challenge.…You can see how many imp variations we went through…to narrow it down to the final round.…It was a long process,…but a collaborative one between me and the art team.…It took patience and a lot of back and forth.…You'll encounter a similar development process…with the rest of the categories…such as vehicles, props, and environments too.…
- What is concept art?
- Producing concept art
- Developing images
- The difference between design and illustration
- Communicating your ideas
- Sketching in your sketchbook
- Making characters and creatures
- Conceptualizing vehicles, props, and environments
- Working with 3D artists and animators
- Creating a cohesive universe
- Building your portfolio
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
Story and Character Development for Animationwith Andrew Gordon15m 4s Appropriate for all
1. The Production Pipeline
2. Developing Ideas
3. Types of Concept Art
4. It's a Team Effort
Needs vs. wants56s
5. Starting Your Journey: Becoming a Concept Artist
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.