Learn about building your portfolio.
- [Instructor] What do you need to get a studio job,…or freelance jobs as a concept artist?…It always comes down to your art.…Is it good, or bad?…I have spoken to many art directors and hiring managers,…and it is as simple as this.…Does your portfolio grab me?…Does it stand out?…And does it fulfill the requirements…I need for a project I am hiring for?…When you put your first portfolio out there,…I always tell people, be prepared to be torn up.…Metaphorically of course.…
I have created so many variations…of my portfolio over the years,…and in that time I always ask myself two things.…Do I have any weak pieces in there?…And does this portfolio blow away my last one?…There's a saying, that in your portfolio,…you are judged on your weakest piece, and it's true.…You can have an awesome portfolio,…but if you put one image in there…just to make your portfolio complete, and it's subpar,…that one piece can be your downfall.…
Here are some general guidelines.…Don't put anything in your portfolio,…you don't feel a 100% confident about.…
- What is concept art?
- Producing concept art
- Developing images
- The difference between design and illustration
- Communicating your ideas
- Sketching in your sketchbook
- Making characters and creatures
- Conceptualizing vehicles, props, and environments
- Working with 3D artists and animators
- Creating a cohesive universe
- Building your portfolio
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
Story and Character Development for Animationwith Andrew Gordon15m 4s Intermediate
1. The Production Pipeline
2. Developing Ideas
3. Types of Concept Art
4. It's a Team Effort
Needs vs. wants56s
5. Starting Your Journey: Becoming a Concept Artist
Next steps2m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.