This video discusses your possible role in the production pipeline, and goes into using your strengths to get into the field.
- [Instructor] I did a lot of grunt work…in the beginning of my career,…but as I developed my skill and confidence,…I proved myself to be a good designer to my clients.…In turn, I began gaining more jobs…in the blue sky phase of a project.…One of my first big gigs was with the same company…I did a lot of these turn-arounds for.…This time, I was a little bit of an art director…but I also got to design the main characters…and locations for a short film called The Oasis.…This was so much fun to do, because I was able to…throw everything out there and just go for it.…
I did everything on this project from initial blue sky…to layout, environments, call-outs,…and even paint-over revisions.…It was a lot of fun, and the whole process was made easier…by my time spent on production on previous projects…earlier in my career.…Understanding and being able to do everything from blue sky…to production makes you a value asset…as you can cover the whole production pipeline,…so knowing your abilities or learning new ones…is going to be very important, so you can…
- What is concept art?
- Producing concept art
- Developing images
- The difference between design and illustration
- Communicating your ideas
- Sketching in your sketchbook
- Making characters and creatures
- Conceptualizing vehicles, props, and environments
- Working with 3D artists and animators
- Creating a cohesive universe
- Building your portfolio