Join Thiago Mundim for an in-depth discussion in this video Solid Element Operations, part of ArchiCAD Essential Training.
- [Voiceover] One very useful tool when you're modeling your project is this solid element operations. And we can find it in the design tab solid element operation. On this tab we have the new operation bar and the maintaining operations. So we're going to focus on the new operation now. I'm going to do a marquis here on this fireplace area, so I'm going to draw the marquis, press F4 in the MAC or F5 in the Windows and let's say we have this situation here where I have a fireplace object and I have this wall that is in the way.
So let's subtract one element from the other. I wouldn't do this on this situation. I would actually create an empty window on the middle but it's a good example for our exercise. So what we have to do is select the targets and select the operators. So the targets will be those three walls. Select them holding shift and then click on get target elements. I'm going to click here to cancel the selection and then select the operator and then click on get operator elements.
So I have three targets, one operator. Now we can choose some different types of operation like subtraction, subtraction with upward extrusion or subtraction with downward extrusion and this is the one that we actually want. So I'm going to click on this one and then press execute. So now ArchiCAD has performed the operation for us and you will notice that this is a live operation. If I move a little bit to the side the subtraction will follow us. But I'm going to undo this because I want to keep it central and notice that now the target and the operators have the symbol here and if we click here it will tell us that we're doing a subtract operation with downwards on the fireplace.
If I click on the fireplace and then click on this icon it will tell us that we are subtracting another three elements that can be selected from here. So let's press F4 again or F5 if you're in Windows to see the whole house. I'm going to zoom extend and then let's bring all the layers. So I'm going to go Control L select all layers put them all on impresso case. So now we have the site. If I focus here you will notice that we have the solid element operation symbol here.
So if I click here it is saying that we are subtracting from two other elements which I know are true slabs. So we can cancel this solid element operation by clicking here on this X and then clicking on the other X. So now we don't have any solid operation happening on this mesh. So let's do that again. So let's go to the basement. I'm going to select the target which is the mesh and get the target. And then select the operators which is this lab and these labs.
Get operator and then I will change the operation to subtraction with upward extrusion. I can execute here on the plan as well. It will work. And if we go back to the 3D, you will see that now the subtraction is done. But remember that this is a live subtraction so if we change the shape of this slab this subtraction will also follow. But be aware that this might make your ArchiCAD a little bit slow because it is calculating the subtraction all the time.
So use it when you only really need it.
- Opening and navigating an ArchiCAD project
- Setting up working units and stories
- Importing drawings
- Modeling walls, slabs, doors, and windows
- Grouping and ungrouping objects
- Creating sections and elevations
- Working with dimensions
- Publishing drawings
- Modeling and documenting detailed designs