Join TeachMeGIS with Jennifer Harrison for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know, part of Learning ArcGIS Python Scripting.
- [Instructor] To be successful in this course, you need to be comfortable with ArcMap including understanding GIS data formats and attributes. In this course, I have some sample scripts that I use in demos. You can download and view those scripts if you'd like to follow along. In most cases, I'll write the script as I go. If you'd like to follow along, just open and save a new script.
- Writing and running Python scripts in IDLE
- Making scripts flexible with variables
- Commenting scripts
- Manipulating string data
- Object-oriented programming in Python
- Creating loops
- Reading and writing text files
- Capturing input at runtime
- Documenting your scripts
Skill Level Beginner
1. Python for ArcGIS Basics
2. Strings, Numbers, and Variables
Work with numeric values5m 22s
3. Syntax Rules
4. Manipulating Strings
5. Object-Oriented Programming
6. Using Loops
7. Generate Log Files
8. Input at Run Time
9. Help Documents
Documenting a script1m 59s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.