Join Adam Wilbert for an in-depth discussion in this video Seeing the big picture with the Overview window, part of ArcGIS Essential Training.
- When working on a large map document…you'll find yourself spending a lot of time…navigating around the map, zooming in and out…of various locations and spot checking lots of…different areas to make sure that you're…telling the story of your data.…Arc Map provides three tools under the windows menu here…that can help you move quickly…and precisely around your map.…Those are the overview, magnifier, and viewer windows.…Let's first go ahead and take a look a the overview window.…I'll select it from the list and the overview window opens.…Now the overview window gives me…a full extent of my entire map.…I can see that the blue rectangle here represents…my bounding box which is the global extent of my map.…
The orange rectangle represents the area…that I'm currently viewing in the main data view back here.…If I use my zoom tool and zoom in to a…portion of the map here, I'll see then that…the orange extent rectangle changes shape and position.…Now right now just seeing this blue bounding box rectangle…isn't very useful in explaining…
- Getting to know the ArcMap interface
- Geocoding addresses
- Measuring distances
- Adding and importing data
- Labeling and adding graphs
- Editing layer properties
- Seeing multiple views
- Making selections
- Exploring geospatial data with ArcCatalog
- Working with vector and raster data
- Styling the map
- Adding your own data
- Using the ModelBuilder
- Adding a legend and annotations
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started with a Geographic Information System (GIS)
2. Organizing the Map
3. Working with Data Layers
4. Seeing Multiple Views of the Map
5. Selecting Map Elements
6. Exploring Geospatial Data
7. Geoprocessing Tasks
8. Working with Vector Data
9. Working with Raster Data
10. Styling the Map
11. Creating Your Own Data
12. Exploring the ModelBuilder
13. Finishing the Map
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.