Leveraging spatial proximity between features is another way that ArcGIS can help identify and select features of interest on the map. Selecting features within a boundary is a common use of this capability.
- [Instructor] We're working with spacial data,…so it would make sense that can use…those spacial locations to make selections.…By comparing the locations of two or more data layers,…we can select features that fall within,…outside of, or near other features.…First, let's update this world map…to include airports and countries.…In the Project pane, I'll expand the databases folder…and find the WorldData geodatabase.…Then, I'll drag the airports feature class…and drop it into our map on the top of the stacking order.…Next, I'll come down and find the countries layer…and I'll toggle that on by turning on the check-box.…
I'd like to create a layer that displays…only the airports within the United States.…We can use the country boundary as a selection border…and grab just the airports that fall inside.…To do this, we'll first select the United States feature.…On the Map tab, come up to the selection group,…and turn on the selection tool.…I'll go ahead and click inside the United States…in order to select that country.…
- Creating a new map project
- Adding data sources to the project
- Managing data layers on the map
- Saving a project template
- Drawing new map features
- Querying and extracting features
- Creating geoprocessing models and packages
- Modifying the look and feel of the map through symbology options
- Adding map labels
- Working with 3D scenes
- Developing a map layout
- Sharing the map and data
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Establish a New Map Project
3. Work with Data
4. Geoprocessing in ArcGIS Pro
5. Symbolize Features on the Map
6. Add Map Labels
7. Working in Three Dimensions
8. Develop a Map Layout
9. Share Your Work
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.