Join Adam Wilbert for an in-depth discussion in this video Making selections, part of ArcGIS Essential Training.
- It's fairly common for geospatial datasets…to include lots of features that are outside…of the scope of your project.…It's often going to be the case where you'll need…to select just a portion of the available…features for your specific needs.…To start, we'll need to get accustomed…with the various ways ArcMap allows us to select features.…We'll start with clicking directly on the map,…and then we'll move on to looking at ways…to make selections more dynamically.…Here I've got a map of Washington State…showing some of the counties and cities within the state.…In order to make selections we'll use this tool…right over here called "Select Features".…When I activate it, you'll notice that my cursor changes.…
And now if I click on feature, for instance,…"Skagit County" here, you'll notice…that it becomes selected.…Selected features by default are indicated…by this bright cyan outline.…If I try to click on another feature, for instance,…"Whatcom County" here, you'll notice that…"Skagit County" becomes deselected.…
- Getting to know the ArcMap interface
- Geocoding addresses
- Measuring distances
- Adding and importing data
- Labeling and adding graphs
- Editing layer properties
- Seeing multiple views
- Making selections
- Exploring geospatial data with ArcCatalog
- Working with vector and raster data
- Styling the map
- Adding your own data
- Using the ModelBuilder
- Adding a legend and annotations
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started with a Geographic Information System (GIS)
2. Organizing the Map
3. Working with Data Layers
4. Seeing Multiple Views of the Map
5. Selecting Map Elements
6. Exploring Geospatial Data
7. Geoprocessing Tasks
8. Working with Vector Data
9. Working with Raster Data
10. Styling the Map
11. Creating Your Own Data
12. Exploring the ModelBuilder
13. Finishing the Map
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.