Learn how to automate tasks in ArcGIS using Python scripting. Find out how to manipulate maps, execute commands, and read and write files with custom Python scripts.
- [Instructor] Python is the gateway to automation in GIS. GIS professionals combine and analyze datasets to discover insights. Adding Python scripts to GIS workflows, can lead to deeper insights and faster, more accurate data management. In this course, I'll introduce you to Python using code snippets and short scripts that are applicable to GIS. Learn the basics of interacting with ArcGIS desktop maps, layers and datasets through Python.
I'll demonstrate basic programming skills from the ground up, including Python's syntax, how to define variables, and what conditional statement is. My name is Jenny Harrison, and I've been a GIS trainer for over 20 years at my company TeachMeGIS. Let's open ArcMap and start programming.
- Writing and running Python scripts in IDLE
- Making scripts flexible with variables
- Commenting scripts
- Manipulating string data
- Object-oriented programming in Python
- Creating loops
- Reading and writing text files
- Capturing input at runtime
- Documenting your scripts
Skill Level Beginner
1. Python for ArcGIS Basics
2. Strings, Numbers, and Variables
Work with numeric values5m 22s
3. Syntax Rules
4. Manipulating Strings
5. Object-Oriented Programming
6. Using Loops
7. Generate Log Files
8. Input at Run Time
9. Help Documents
Documenting a script1m 59s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.